What is super over rule in cricket? Also known as one over eleminator, this rule is used when two teams finish at same score in a Twenty20 match. yes, only in Twenty20 or T20 (20 over/side cricket) matches.. not in one day internationals (50 overs/side cricket) and Test Cricket (5 day cricket).
Explanation : When a team scores, say 150 in 20 overs and chasing team also finishes with 150 from their quota of overs (irrespective of wickets lost), 1 additional over is played by each side and whoever scores more, wins the game.
Simple as it may sound, there are few pointers related to it :=
1. Subject to weather conditions, one over per side eliminator will take place on the scheduled day of the match at a time to be determined by the referee. In normal circumstances it shall commence within 5 minutes after the conclusion of the match.
2. Super over will take place on the same pitch allocated for the match (the designated pitch) unless otherwise determined by the umpires in
consultation with the ground authority and the Match referee.
3. Prior to the commencement of super over, each team elects three batsmen and one bowler and nominated players are given in writing to match referee.
4. For the super over rule, umpires select which end to bowl from and both teams use the end to bowl & bat their over (6 balls).. And, each umpire shall stand at the same end at which they finished the match.
5. No field restriction is in place during super over.. that is, 5 fielders outside 30 yard circle can be set but at least 4 fielders have to be inside that same circle. no catching fielder is mandetory.
6. Team batting second in the match will bat first in the one over eliminator.
7. The same ball (or a ball of a similar age if the original ball is out of shape) as used at the end of the team’s innings shall be used for the “extra” over.
8. The loss of two wickets in the over ends the team’s one over innings.
9. In the event of the teams having the same score after super over has been completed, the team that hit the most number of sixes combined from its two innings in both the main match and the super over shall be the winner.
10. If the number sixes hit by both teams is equal, the team whose
batsmen score the most number fours in its two innings (main innings + super over) will be the match winner.
- CLT20 2014 : | Match 7 : Kolkata floor Lahore on way to 11th consecutive win | Match 6 : Hurricanes chase down Cobra's solid total | Match 5 : Kings clear Tridents' scare to stay unbeaten | Schedule & Results | Points table | Leading scorers | Wkt takers.
- CLT20 records : Highest score | Fastest fifty | Highest totals | Lowest totals.
- Ind v Eng : 4th test : India out twice in 538 balls, England won by an inn + 54 runs | Most ducks in an inning | Schedule : 5th test at Oval from 15 August | Head to head : India has only 6 wins in England.
Pak v SL : 1st test : Sri Lankans achieve dramatic win at Galle | Schedule : 2nd test from 14th Aug |
Most test runs in a year : Sangakkara crosses 1400.
What is Super over rule in twenty20 cricket match?
Cricket Rules & Laws